Index rebuild

From: Tarby777 <nick_williamson_at_mentorg.com>
Date: 27 Sep 2005 01:19:13 -0700

Hi all,

I need to move a bunch of indexes from one tablespace to another during an upgrade. I'm assuming that I just ALTER INDEX, specifying the target tablespace. Some questions:

  1. I know it's possible to run the rebuild while connected as the user who owns the tables, or as SYSTEM or SYS. Is any one of these considered to be best practice?
  2. I notice that Oracle has automatically added indexes with names beginning SYS_IL0000 for the tables that have BLOB columns. Can I safely rebuild these, or should I leave Oracle to look after them?
  3. Does Oracle automatically free up the space in the tablespace where the indexes used to be, once I move them?
  4. Any gotchas?

TIA
Nick Received on Tue Sep 27 2005 - 03:19:13 CDT