Re: Windows 2000 Command Line Testing of Oracle System DSN

From: Andy Hassall <andy_at_andyh.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 00:33:45 +0100

On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 18:27:39 GMT, Mark Bole <makbo_at_pacbell.net> wrote:

>The "one time setup" (Perl and DBI and DBD::ODBC for Windows) may range
>from simple to impossible, depending on your experience with Perl.
>ActiveState Perl for Windows distribution with PPM (Perl package
>manager) is the easiest to use, although I recall reading somewhere that
>the DBD drivers for Windows are a little behind. I have used this
>successfully with Oracle version 9.2, DBD::ODBC version 1.06, and Perl
>version 5.6 "Binary build 630 provided by ActiveState Tool Corp.
>http://www.ActiveState.com" -- YMMV.

 There are recent DBI and various DBD PPMs available for Perl 5.8 here: http://ftp.esoftmatic.com/DBI/ - maintained by the author of DBD::ODBC (Jeff Ulwin). Despite the "5.8.3" tag on them, they work fine with more recent versions of Perl 5.8 - 5.8.3 was just the previous binary module compatibility break point.

 If you have the Microsoft C compiler handy then it's pretty easy to build from source anyway.

 Or, at least for DBD::Oracle, Cygwin http://www.cygwin.com/ is a nice route to take as you can compile up DBD::Oracle from source on Windows using gcc (against the Cygwin perl, not the ActiveState one of course). YMMV for DBD::ODBC under Cygwin, haven't ever tried that.

--
Andy Hassall :: andy@andyh.co.uk :: http://www.andyh.co.uk
http://www.andyhsoftware.co.uk/space :: disk and FTP usage analysis tool