Re: I found the light away from Oracle RDBMS

From: kwr2k <Kanwar.Plaha_at_gmail.com>
Date: 20 Sep 2005 16:33:47 -0700

I do not entirely agree with 'Enlightened and Free' but the way others have been flaming him/her, it looks malicious.

One of the reasonings for Oracle and against PostgreSQL is that there are gazillion books on Oracle! Funny, I hear the same comments in Windows v/s Linux forums. So does this mean that we should all bow down to the money-spinning companies just because they have more money-muscle to publish books and manipulate the media?

Also, look at the years that Oracle has been around and then see how long PostgreSQL has been around. Definitely, clustering and few other features that for Oracle's 'niche' are pretty recent addition. So, who is pulling the wool over your eyes year after year, version after version? Each release of Oracle fixes past bugs but they almost sell it as if its a The Greatest Thing (TM).

Now, to really shock you all -- I am an Oracle DBA for more than 8-9 years (I would not be in this forum otherwise) but it does pay to keep track of rising technologies and products. Who knows when you may be forced to switch due to market changes.

I feel the whole 'Open' thing in open-source is about your mind. Just flaming someone who dares to be different is downright childish and unprofessional. Most of you, who are in this forum, are neither (I hope). Received on Tue Sep 20 2005 - 18:33:47 CDT