Re: I found the light away from Oracle RDBMS

From: Niall Litchfield <Niall.litchfield_at_dial.pipex.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 21:37:11 +0100

Elightened and Free wrote:
> Features added recently or upcoming in 8.1 (now in beta2) include
> - point-in-time recovery

So, your dba/developer or end-user screws up, currently you lose all data since your last backup? When the beta goes production you still have those nasty version 1 problems with recovering from human error.

> - replication

So if you have geographically diverse users, you have to choose which suffer the poor response time?

> Hmm.. you can pay $40,000 per processor or you can pay $0.
>
> In my opinion, paying for software is fast approaching a thing of the
> past. Its foolish to overpay for RDBMS.

Its foolish to overpay - its equally foolish to underpay. Sure its good that open source products are adding features that enterprises have been relying on for at least a decade in commercial products (not just Oracle). If you are going to troll a group though, best make your case a little more watertight.

Niall Received on Tue Sep 20 2005 - 15:37:11 CDT