Re: alter package compile hang

From: Mark D Powell <Mark.Powell_at_eds.com>
Date: 20 Sep 2005 06:36:03 -0700

Thomas, first of all you would not have problems if proper update discipline were being enforced. Stored code that invalidates other code should only be applied to production during scheduled maintenance windows. Developers should not have access to any Id with the ability to change production object structures or code. The outside auditors should have detected this and put a stop to it.

If you are going to change stored code during regular operating hours you should shutoff access to the affected part of the application. I am not sure of the proper terminology but we have what amounts to logical web servers for different parts of our web based applications. When we need to make a change we coordinate with the customer and at an agreed upon time, usually 12 noon, we shutdown the logical web server, run in the new code, revalidate affected code, and restart the web server. In as little as 3 minutes the customer is back at work and other areas such as manufacturing and financials never experienced an outage.

If you have to change code and cannot cutoff the affected part of the application then coordinate with the customer to get them to stop using their screens at a specific time. This will help minimize conflicts. If you are updating packages and the specification code did not change then make sure only the modified bodies are ran in so that dependency recompilation is minimized.

IMHO -- Mark D Powell -- Received on Tue Sep 20 2005 - 08:36:03 CDT