Re: I found the light away from Oracle RDBMS

From: HansF <News.Hans_at_telus.net>
Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2005 01:20:40 GMT

Sheesh, here we go again. I wonder if this is the same turkey that wasted our time about six months ago.

There is no doubt in my mind that open source databases have a valid place in life. Very similar to open source operating systems. As always, use the right tool for the job - and if the job can truly be fulfilled by MySQL or PostgresQL, so be it.

Unfortunately many forget the long term cost, including cost to develop replacements for the stuff that comes with Oracle (RMAN, EM, Locator, interMedia, and the list goes on). It ain't just the data types.

Evaluate intelligently, not religiously. <sigh />

--
Hans Forbrich
mailto: Fuzzy.GreyBeard_at_gmail.com