Re: PL/SQL Code Reviews

From: Jeff Kish <jeff.kish_at_mro.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2005 10:21:28 -0400

On 15 Sep 2005 06:20:25 -0700, redrobot5050_at_gmail.com wrote:

>Hello all
>
>Has anyone here ever participated or lead an group in a PL/SQL code
>review? My project manager and I believe that our we need to
>incorporation a code review/inspection into our process and I am trying
>to assemble a list of resources that should help us in accomplishing
>this task.
>
>Most importantly, I'm looking for sites/white papers that deal with
>either Code Review (the general approach) or specific documents
>pertaining to the process (defect checklists specific to PL/SQL)
>
>CW

Hi.

If you follow common sense it will help alot. 1 - Wat do you do for normal code reviews? If it seems to work for that, it is a good starting place.
2 - You have to have at least one person who is excellent at pl/sql, maybe at a dba level of understanding as well as understanding the product architecture/needs itself. This way you can take into account any special needs/circumstances presented by your situation/application. 3 - Include at least one person whos job it will be to maintain/develop so they can say 'yeah' this is comprehensible, or 'no' this is really hard to follow.
4 - comments are a good idea.. not too many as the code should be ... self documenting to some degree.
5 - have some good standards to begin with. These standards should compliment the review process.. in fact they should compliment each other.

Good Luck.. I always wish the most capable folks reviewed my stuff.. it actually can be fairly brutal ("whats this garbage" type of feedback), but its a good way to learn and to ensure quality. Received on Thu Sep 15 2005 - 09:21:28 CDT