problems with picking up the latest record..

From: Deepu <UseLinkToEmail_at_dbForumz.com>
Date: 13 Sep 2005 12:44:02 -0400

Hi,
I have a table in my database which has a date column...I need to pick up a resultset based on a where clause, identify the latest record based on the date column and then go ahead and pick up other values of the latest record. Here is the rough structure of the query..How could we use max with a date??..or could we do an order by...desc and pick up the first record??..Please help..

select bill_nbr from bill_table
where (bill_date is the most recent.)

Thanks in Advance.
Deepu.