Re: Impersonate a Oracle User

From: Andy Hassall <andy_at_andyh.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2005 00:02:27 +0100

On Thu, 8 Sep 2005 12:44:27 +0200, "Martin" <martino.pavone_at_cezannesw.com> wrote:

>Suppose that you are connected to an Oracle database with the user SYS or
>SYSTEM.
>
>I know that there is a way to impersonate another Oracle user account, but I
>don't remember the command.

 There's no documented way of doing this that I'm aware of, if you're looking at this from the point of view of an Oracle equivalent to the Unix 'su [user]' command when run as root.

 I recall reading that the 'imp' tool uses an internal, undocumented call to switch user when doing a full import, but this is not a publically available function.

 What's the business need? There's probably another way to do it; e.g. definer rights PL/SQL runs with the privileges of its owner when run by another user - it's not impersonation, but maybe that's an approach to look at depending on what your actual problem is. (But if you're already logged in as SYS then privilege levels aren't likely to be the issue in the first place...)

--
Andy Hassall :: andy@andyh.co.uk :: http://www.andyh.co.uk
http://www.andyhsoftware.co.uk/space :: disk and FTP usage analysis tool