Re: Problem with Oracle 9

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Fri, 09 Sep 2005 15:27:01 -0700

steve.morrell_at_white-carbon.com wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> We've been using Oracle 8 for a few years as the back end of our
> product for a few years now. Recently we started using Oracle 9
> (9.2.0.0) and didn't find any problems.
>
> Until... One of our data structures represents a column of data in a
> grid. We store a single CLOB to represent each column of data, with
> quotation-surrounded objects in a csv type list. So
>
> Column
> --------
> Thing1
> Thing2
> Thing3
>
> is stored in the database as a single record for "Column", with one
> CLOB entry in the record of
>
> "Thing1","Thing2","Thing3"
>
> Recently we found that if we include a column with a large number of
> characters in this CLOB, the data gets truncated. Usually it's when we
> have around 100 entries of >1000 characters each. We end up getting
> something akin to
>
> "Thing1","Thing2","Thi
>
> and when we attempt to read this back, we get a index out of bounds
> error for the final, incomplete value. This truncation seems to happen
> after ~66000 characters are added to the CLOB, so if we have a column
> with around 100 entries of 1000 each, we get an "index out of bounds
> (66) error".
>
> I can't find any reason why a CLOB would be truncated in this way, and
> our code has not changed. When we use the same repro case against an
> Oracle 8 database, it works as it always did without a problem, but we
> can reproduce the error each time on the Oracle 9 database.
>
> If anyone can help, that'd be appreciated.
>
> Steve.

I don't think it is being truncated but who could tell from what you have posted. And anything less than 9.2.0.6 ... why?

For anyone to help you we need a test case. Provide DDL to create the table, an insert statement to put in samle data, and a SQL statement that SELECTs from the table that demonstrates the issue.

For all I can see your only problem could be SET LONG 1000000.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
http://www.psoug.org