Re: Oracle Reports Developer - Before Report Trigger

From: Matthias Kleinicke <Matthias.Kleinicke_at_gmx.de>
Date: Fri, 09 Sep 2005 22:45:52 +0200

Malcolm Dew-Jones schrieb:
> Matthias Kleinicke (Matthias.Kleinicke_at_gmx.de) wrote:
> How did you know that except by guessing (albeit, an educated guess)?
>
> Was there some way to get the report writer to tell you that that was what
> it was going to use, or is it documented somewhere?
>
> I ask because I too in the past wanted to get this sort of detail from the
> report instead of figuring it out myself. One problem with figuring out
> the query yourself is that if some one changes the report then they also
> have to change the initial query, which is a potential source of error,
> especially since the hand written query may appear to work just fine with
> no changes (but be incorrect for the report as a whole).

It is not documented. In fact I could not tell if this is always exactly the way it works, but it's the essential meaning of the given data model. Of course it could get very complicated if using outer joins, filters, groups, substitution variables, parameters, ... . Also I could not tell if Reports is not doing the first query and then loop throu the values doing an individual query for each set of code and cd_type.
The point in the statement given is to test both selects according to the given links.

But the problem of maintaining both statements still remains. Only way to solve this is to use summary items and count rows with rport means. If this could be used in Before Report I would not expect. If the required target could be achieved in Post Report I also could only guess.

Greetings

Matthias Received on Fri Sep 09 2005 - 15:45:52 CDT