running instantclient sqlplus without tnsnames.ora file?

From: Mark Harrison <mh_at_ohm.pixar.com>
Date: Thu, 08 Sep 2005 17:01:01 GMT

newbie alert, apologies in advance...

I have a connection string that looks like this:

        //oracle-rac-1:1521/racdb.pixar.com

Is there a way to use this string with sqlplus, instead of using the tns name? I want to run some things on a large rendering cluster and it would be nice if I didn't have to prep the machines with tnsnames.ora, set the environment, etc.

Many TIA!
Mark

--
Mark Harrison