Re: Replication of indexes

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Thu, 08 Sep 2005 09:09:02 -0700

Bing Wu wrote:
> DA Morgan wrote:
>

>> If you are in 10g you should be using Streams. Replication has been
>> deprecated.
>>
>> And please describe you point with respect to a limit of 9 nodes. Why
>> is this a problem? Are you, perhaps, misunderstanding the use of the
>> word? If two RAC clusters ... you only use a single node to replicate
>> no matter how many nodes are in the cluster.

> Thanks for your comments. This is from Oracle DataGuard:
>
> http://www.oracle.com/technology/deploy/availability/htdocs/DataGuardOverview.html
>

> >> A Data Guard configuration consists of one production (or primary)
> database and up to nine standby databases.
>
> In my setup, I have only one master database (read/write) and
> distributed slave nodes (read only) across internet.
>
> Bing

You are using Advanced Replication, a deprecated technology, across the internet? Do you also stick yourself in the eye with sharp sticks?

If it is the internet ... then why do you need more than 9 exact replicas? Even in my most paranoid delusions I don't expect to failover that many times.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
http://www.psoug.org