Re: Min. System requirements -(oc4j on a Linux )

From: HansF <News.Hans_at_telus.net>
Date: Thu, 01 Sep 2005 19:39:34 GMT

On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 15:55:19 -0700, parcha interested us by writing:

> So, should we increase the min. system requirement to 1GB then?
> Is there anything else I need to take care?

Back when Microsoft introduced Windows 95 they stated, correctly, that the minimum memory requirement was 4M. It was totally true. What they neglected to mention was that you need more than the minimum to do anything (useful or otherwise).

Since then, it has become a defacto standard in the industry to state the minimum requirements as 'that what is required to install and get the environment to run without doing anything useful'.

Perhaps Oracle is simply following the industry standard?

So, in direct answer to your question, I'd say that the minimum system requirement does not need to change, but the minimum realistic operational requirement should go to 1G or higher. <g>

--
Hans Forbrich
mailto: Fuzzy.GreyBeard_at_gmail.com