Re: dbastudio for 10g?

From: Mark Bole <makbo_at_pacbell.net>
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2005 16:12:03 GMT

Volker Hetzer wrote:

> Hi!
> On 9i i had this nice gui which I could start with "oemapp dbastudio" on
> Linux
> and it made it pretty easy for me to play with tablespaces, redologs and
> all that.
>
> Is there any equivalent for 10g? I don't want to use the full enterprise
> server just
> to manage one database.
>
> Lots of Greetings!
> Volker

The Java console is still available on the 10g Client installation disk, both Windows and Linux. And of course you can run the 10g web-based database control for an individual database without running a full EM server.

There are a few annoying bugs that were introduced with the Java console in version 10g:

  1. On the first attempt to connect to a database, the login dialog box swallows the first character typed -- in other words, to log in as "system", you have to type "ssystem". Subsequent logins don't have this problem.
  2. Many of the "right-click" (context) menus on the right-hand side of the window no longer work. In other words, to get the context menu for a specific table, you must first expand the table list in the left-hand side navigation window, then right-click on the table name there.

Oracle wants you to use the web-based database control in 10g, but even so they list several features that you still need the Java console to perform.

-Mark Bole Received on Wed Aug 24 2005 - 11:12:03 CDT