Re: Help! 9i hosed!

From: HansF <News.Hans_at_telus.net>
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2005 21:29:52 GMT

On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 09:41:52 -0700, tpcolson interested us by writing:

> mission critical spatial database. Unfortunately, there
> is no budget for a bona fide DBMS admin....

That is sort of a conflict in definitions ... mission critical vs no budget. Someone better tell management to choose one or the other.

It's going to be tough doing this over the ether ... in which city are you located? Perhaps some kindly local DBA will provide help.

Nevertheless, your posts talk about the Oracle Management Server not starting. Irrelevant ... the management server is use for supervisory but not real work. (If working correctly it makes life easier, but like any other manager, gone missing ain't going to shut the office down.)

Check your control panel's services (usually under administrative tools) whether the Oracle Listener and the Oracle Database service are up and running. If not, try to start them manually and report the error if any.

Also look for a file called 'alert.log' as that will have a concise, although possibly cryptic, explanation of why it crashed and why it ain't restarting.

--
Hans Forbrich
mailto: Fuzzy.GreyBeard_at_gmail.com