Re: Help! 9i hosed!

From: Malcolm Dew-Jones <yf110_at_vtn1.victoria.tc.ca>
Date: 23 Aug 2005 12:10:35 -0800

tpcolson_at_gmail.com wrote:

: OracleOraHome92Mana: The service has terminated abnormally. See the
: file C:\oracle\ora92\sysman\log\oms.nohup for details.

What did that file say? (oms.nohup)

: Service Control Manager: The OracleMTSRecoveryService service failed to
: start due to the following error:
: The system cannot find the file specified.

The question is, which file wasn't found? Perhaps the above file tells you. (The message might also be misleading, so perhaps it isn't a file that wasn't found at all).

: [main][2005-8-23:12:32:57:15] VdbSession.processError: errorMsg
: >ORA-01033: ORACLE initialization or shutdown in progress

(lots of similar)

: [main][2005-8-23:12:34:37:562] VdbSession.processError: database
: connection error
: oracle.sysman.vxn.VxnBootstrapException:
: VXA-2028 :
: Unable to connect to OMS repository.
: at
: oracle.sysman.vxa.VxaAppServer.startServices(VxaAppServer.java:1596)
: at oracle.sysman.vxa.VxaAppServer.main(VxaAppServer.java:3144)

I would guess the long list of errors is irrelevent. Oracle isn't available and so a job that needs oracle keeps getting errors. Those errors will go away as soon as you solve the first error.

As long as all the data files are intact (i.e. you didn't delete them accidently), then I would assume the data is fine.

As long as you are using the same versions (i.e. you haven't changed anything) and as long as you don't accidently initialize something, then the data will be there once you can get the server to start.

Did you do a complete image backup of the hard disks yet, and a complete backup of the registry? I like to be able to restore a machine to the identical state that it was in before I change anything. It might be hard for you to be confident in such a backup if you haven't practised it ahead of time, so it might not help, but when all else fails, someone else might be able to figure out what to do -- as long as you still have all the original files.

--

This space not for rent.