ODBC/OLE DB MS Access Question 10G Database Upgrade Issues?

From: Henners <terminalx82_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2005 19:11:49 GMT

Hi There

We currently have the following setup:

Server:
Oracle Database on Unix @ 9.2

Client:
Windows XP Pro (SP1)
MS Access 2000
Microsoft ODBC Driver for Oracle
pile of databases that connect to oracle via ODBC/OLE DB Oracle Client 8.1.7 (MSDTC keys are pointing at oracle 8 dll's)

We will be upgrading our database to Oracle 10G, and are concerned that the connection between MS access and the database will fail, or we will have data issues. I have read some reports of this, but have seen no consistant data accross the board. Testing will be done of course, but sometimes its easy to ask first....

We will also (in time) look at upgrading the Oracle Client level (currently we only have done that for our developers/dba's), but I am concerned with Microsoft's ODBC/OLE DB drivers.

Will I be forced to upgrade to the Oracle drivers? Will I be forced to upgrade the client (SQL*net) level? (I.e. oraclient10.dll)

I also have a few other apps that require ODBC/OLE DB access including Powerbuilder and Crystal Reports.

Thanks,

Henry Received on Mon Aug 22 2005 - 14:11:49 CDT