Re: Daatabase

From: Geoff Muldoon <geoff.muldoon_at_trap.gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2005 12:13:10 +1000

News.Hans_at_telus.net says...
> On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 08:20:55 -0700, pri interested us by writing:
>
> > can anybody tell me a situation where a normalization RDBMS is not good?
>
> Personal opinion - every design should be normalized, but the
> implementation can be denormalized to achieve specific goals such as
> security or performance.

Suggested change to your assertion:
"every standard E/R design should be normalized ....."

Dimensional star-schema data warehouses are one of the non-standard E/R exceptions and their design may be significantly hindered by a process of normalization and then denormalization.

Geoff M Received on Sun Aug 14 2005 - 21:13:10 CDT