Re: Execute Immediate and bind variables

From: HansF <News.Hans_at_telus.net>
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2005 01:45:49 GMT

On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 14:17:01 -0700, brightspot interested us by writing:

> I'm translated SQL Server stored procedures into Oracle. We used
> sp_executesql before and I'm trying to use Execute Immediate to mimic
> the previous code.

If you have not done so, PLEASE get and read a copy of the following books before you proceed too much further:

By Thomas Kyte:

   Effective Oracle by Design, and
   Expert One on One Oracle

By McDonald, et. al

   Mastering Oracle PL/SQL

By Jonathan Lewis

   Practical Oracle8i

Regardless of the version, these books will give you very important information about the conversion you are attempting, as well as how to avoid pitfalls in some of the more common conversion techniques due to the differences in the internal implementation of the various SQL engines.

The above is not intended to put any judgement on your skills, but to provide additional, very significant, resources you may not have encountered to this point.

--
Hans Forbrich
mailto: Fuzzy.GreyBeard_at_gmail.com