Re: Q:Converting Forms to J2EE

From: Mark C. Stock <mcstockX_at_Xenquery>
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2005 13:57:50 -0400

"Frank van Bortel" <frank.van.bortel_at_gmail.com> wrote in message news:dddeem$dlr$1_at_news1.zwoll1.ov.home.nl...
> Mark C. Stock wrote:

>> "Frank van Bortel" <frank.van.bortel_at_gmail.com> wrote in message

>>>Soiled?
>>>
>>>But moving from forms to htmldb is simple. Unless the users
>>>fail to accept the changes due to HTML handling the front end.
>>>
>>>--
>>>Regards,
>>>Frank van Bortel
>>

>> Simple?
>>
>> If the forms application has any validation logic at all, or any triggers
>> at
>> all, or any transaction logic, it would all have to be rewritten -- major
>> work, based on the forms apps I've seen over the last 20 years.
>>
>> HTML DB is a great tool, but it's a different paradigm than Forms -- even
>> if
>> you're using really, really, simple Forms.
>>
>> ++ mcs
>>

> Yes - HTMLDB is simple, and straighforward.
> Validation can only be basic, as one would expect from HTML.
> Triggers in a form - to do what? Same comment on HTML applies.
> Transaction logic should not be in a form alone - it is allowed
> as duplicate of the db transactional code, nothing more.
> Thus - HTMLDB will cope (with the db-centric code).
>

> And did I not say "Unless .... changes due to HTML..."?
> As I replies to Oliver: stick to Java, then.
>

> --
> Regards,
> Frank van Bortel

That was exactly my point -- it is not simple to move from Forms to HTML DB -- it's a total rewrite.

Most of the stuff I've coded into Forms apps over the past 2 centuries can also be coded into HTML apps, so it's not a given that an HTML app has to be less functional, but it's a major shift in development techniques.

++ mcs Received on Wed Aug 10 2005 - 12:57:50 CDT