Re: ORA-01555 Snapshot too old, is it simply unavoidable?

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Mon, 08 Aug 2005 11:20:03 -0700

Ken wrote:
> Is ORA-01555 something you cannot get rid at all(most of the
> books/articles I read mentioned only how to REDUCE its occurrence)? If
> yes, what, as programmers, should we do in our code to handle it?

There is no excuse for an ORA-01555.

If Oracle 8i or earlier you need to follow the advice given for years by Tom Kyte and others ... resize your rollback segments.

If Oracle 9i or later than you need to move to UNDO and give Oracle enough space and a long enough retention time.

On the other hand if you are doing incremental commits: Stop doing them.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
http://www.psoug.org