Re: Why is 9i pausing?

From: Jim Smith <jim_at_jimsmith.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 7 Aug 2005 18:16:21 +0100

In message <1123250027.298766.217310_at_g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>, Tarby777 <nick_williamson_at_mentorg.com> writes
>Hi all,
>
>I'm experiencing an intermittent performance problem reading and
>writing a 9i database from Sqlplus. I'm running Sqlplus on my laptop
>and the DB is on a Sun box in the same office. It seems that if my
>connection to the DB is inactive for a period of time, there is usually
>a really bad lag when next I try to read or write the DB. If I do a few
>things in quick succession, they all seem to execute reasonably
>quickly. Whether a period of inactivity forces Oracle to go through
>some sort of extended handshaking when activity picks up again, I don't
>know, but that's what it feels like to me.
>
>In my read tests, the data - once it starts to stream - comes back at a
>decent rate, but there's sometimes a delay of upto a minute before it
>starts to send. I got a similar result with write tests: I created 1000
>rows in next to no time but when I tried it a second time, there was a
>pause of about a minute before it started, then it created the 1000
>rows pretty quickly.
>
>FWIW the Sun box has 1.5GB memory, is serving a total of three 9i
>databases, and is inactive apart from the tests I'm doing. My database
>is running on default instance parameters (it was created as a "new
>database" in DBCA, and I just accepted all the defaults).
>
>I'm stuck! Any ideas what is causing the pause?
>
>TIA
>Tarby

Is your laptop busy? It could be that sqlplus and the oracle stack is being swapped out on the laptop.

Try to reproduce the problem with a sqlplus session on the server.

--
Jim Smith
Because of their persistent net abuse, I ignore mail from