Oracle 8i logfile problem

From: BCC <bcc_at_abcz.com>
Date: Fri, 05 Aug 2005 19:23:56 GMT

Hi,

We have oracle 8i running on a sun machine. Our DBA just left and of course the database died. Somehow I was elected to try and fix it, but Im a software engineer, I know very very very little about oracle.

When I run the startup script, I get the following: Oracle8i Enterprise Edition Release 8.1.7.4.0 - Production With the Partitioning option
JServer Release 8.1.7.4.0 - Production

SVRMGR> Connected.
SVRMGR> ORACLE instance started.

Total System Global Area                        959467680 bytes
Fixed Size                                          73888 bytes
Variable Size                                   138080256 bytes
Database Buffers                                819200000 bytes
Redo Buffers                                      2113536 bytes
Database mounted.
ORA-00341: log 4 of thread 1, wrong log # 1 in header ORA-00312: online log 4 thread 1: '/opt/oracle/oradata/lims/redoG04M01.log' SVRMGR>
Server Manager complete.

Database "lims" warm started.

But whenever I (or anyone else) tries to connect it says the database is initializing or shutting down.

I tried recovering, which fails becuase of the ORA-00341/312 error. I dont know how to reset the logs, or even if I did what the ramifications of this are. I dont even know what GUI tools exist to help with database maintenance, or how to run them.

Can anyone help out?
Thanks,
Bryan Received on Fri Aug 05 2005 - 14:23:56 CDT