Re: Why is 9i pausing?

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Fri, 05 Aug 2005 16:18:53 +0200

On 5 Aug 2005 06:53:47 -0700, "Tarby777" <nick_williamson_at_mentorg.com> wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>I'm experiencing an intermittent performance problem reading and
>writing a 9i database from Sqlplus. I'm running Sqlplus on my laptop
>and the DB is on a Sun box in the same office. It seems that if my
>connection to the DB is inactive for a period of time, there is usually
>a really bad lag when next I try to read or write the DB. If I do a few
>things in quick succession, they all seem to execute reasonably
>quickly. Whether a period of inactivity forces Oracle to go through
>some sort of extended handshaking when activity picks up again, I don't
>know, but that's what it feels like to me.
>
>In my read tests, the data - once it starts to stream - comes back at a
>decent rate, but there's sometimes a delay of upto a minute before it
>starts to send. I got a similar result with write tests: I created 1000
>rows in next to no time but when I tried it a second time, there was a
>pause of about a minute before it started, then it created the 1000
>rows pretty quickly.
>
>FWIW the Sun box has 1.5GB memory, is serving a total of three 9i
>databases, and is inactive apart from the tests I'm doing. My database
>is running on default instance parameters (it was created as a "new
>database" in DBCA, and I just accepted all the defaults).
>
>I'm stuck! Any ideas what is causing the pause?
>
>TIA
>Tarby

3 instances with default parameters on a system with only 1.5G RAM, where the default SGA is some 300 to 400 M probably means a system swapping like hell.
Then no parameters have been tuned, and the acting DBA (you) has absolutely zero Oracle experience.
Frankly this question is too broad, and too vague, and it requires investigation, that you can't do because you have no Oracle experience. So someone here would need to take you by the hand etc, etc, etc
At the end of it, that person has spent way too much time for free, and at the same time he has ruined the consultancy market, by doing this for free.

--
Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA