Re: service handle not initialized error

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Mon, 01 Aug 2005 22:22:08 +0200

On 1 Aug 2005 12:52:59 -0700, "SQ" <onestatusquo_at_yahoo.com> wrote:

>I just installed Oracle 9.0.1. on Linux Advanced Server 2.1.
>
>When I try to connect to it, I get:
>
>SQL> connect / as sysdba
>ERROR:
>ORA-24314: service handle not initialized
>
>The environment variables like ORACLE_SID seem to be set correctly. But
>I am missing the listener.ora configuration file. It's nowhere on the
>system. Why wasn't it installed by default? And where do I get a sample
>one? (with values filled in, so I know what values to substitute)

1 you don't need a listener.ora, at least not when ORACLE_SID has been set
2 It is created during installation when you run then net configuration tool. Probably you decided to skip that 3 You can look up the meaning or ora-24314 by typing oerr ora 24314
or by searching for it on http://tahiti.oracle.com 4 a sample listener.ora is in $ORACLE_HOME/network/admin/sample

--
Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA