Re: Constraints

From: Dale <dschmitz4_at_cox.net>
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2005 13:14:25 -0500

"Sybrand Bakker" <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl> wrote in message news:60rke19h569q4d4r03i326a8vr91mc1s43_at_4ax.com...
> On Fri, 29 Jul 2005 12:39:08 -0500, "Dale" <dschmitz4_at_cox.net> wrote:
>
>>Can anyone tell me what the following unique constraint means:
>>
>>ADRI I$PK_VOLUME_HEADER ADRI VOLUME_HEADER VOLUME_ID 1 22 0 ASC
>>ADRI I$PK_VOLUME_HEADER ADRI VOLUME_HEADER CIB_VOLUME_ID 2 10 10 ASC
>>ADRI I$PK_VOLUME_HEADER ADRI VOLUME_HEADER VOLUME_EDITION 3 22 0 ASC
>>ADRI I$PK_VOLUME_HEADER ADRI VOLUME_HEADER VOL_SS 4 2 2 ASC
>>
>>I can't provide any coherent reason for asking this other than "I can't
>>submit more than one record to the volume_header table without violating
>>this constraint."
>>
>>I'm new to Oracle admin and have been tasked with making changes before I
>>completely know what I'm doing. Sorry for the paucity of information.
>>

> It means that the combination of volume_id, cib_volume_id,
> volume_edition, and vol_ss must be unique.
>

> --
> Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

Ok, that makes sense, considering how I was attempting to add a new record. I take it that all other fields (columns?) in that record could be duplicates, but somehow when the content of those four fields is compared to the same four fields of another record there had better be at least one different character or value somewhere.

Thanks. Received on Fri Jul 29 2005 - 13:14:25 CDT