Basic Oracle Concepts

From: newbie <newbie_at_newbie.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 19:14:11 +0800

Hi all,

Sorry for this, perhaps, silly questions. I just started learning Oracle (9iR2) and is still trying hard to master the basic concepts. I went thru a few documentation (DB Concepts, 9i Getting Started for Windows, Administrator Guide, Instructor Led Training material, etc) and still not able to fully understand the basic concepts behind.

  1. Every RUNNING database is associated with an Oracle instance. But is it possible to create > 1 databases in the harddisk while allowing the instance to select the specific one to be mounted during database startup? If yes, is it by specifying the init.ora to be used in 'STARTUP' ?
  2. What is meant by creating multiple Oracle Home? How do we do that? Is it as simple as installing Oracle in 2 directories each with its own database created in it? I would imagine some common program files could be shared among installations so it shouldnt be that simple.