Re: Oracle ignoring function-based index - why?

From: Anurag Varma <avoracle_at_gmail.com>
Date: 25 Jul 2005 11:51:34 -0700

The OP stated that he is on 9.2. Its not good to give him advise based on 8i, which does not really apply in 9i.

As for value of 200 being ridiculous, you should read the paper written by Wolfgang Breitling:
http://www.centrexcc.com/Histograms%20-%20Myths%20and%20Facts.pdf

He has given working examples on why the advise you are giving is not really good.
I've experimented with histograms in our env, and have seen it having bad
performance effects if I try creating histograms blindly on all indexed columns.
It could be beneficial to create histograms only on the columns with skewed data
 (indexed or non-indexed)

Anurag Received on Mon Jul 25 2005 - 13:51:34 CDT