Re: Resize TableSpace (Index)

From: Jim Smith <jim_at_jimsmith.demon.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2005 13:49:56 +0100

In message <ouGdnZwC8rv7IELfRVn-uA_at_rogers.com>, Luis Correia <llcorreia_at_yahoo.com> writes
>sorry, i realize my syntax below is missing the tablespace keyword on the
>alter index commands..
>
>should have been 'alter index xxx rebuild TABLESPACE TEMP;'
>etc...
>

>"Luis Correia" <llcorreia_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> hello..
>>
>> in oracle 7.3.4, if i want to resize (down) the datafiles for a table
>> space used for indexes
>> but oracle refuses because the free space is not contiguous at the end of
>> the datafiles - can i do the following without effecting client
>> applications (i.e. perform these actions online)?
>>

>> 'alter index xxx rebuild TEMP;' to rebuild all the indexes to a temporary
>> tablespace with enough space.
>> 'alter tablespace index_ts coalesce'; to coalesce all free space
>> perform the resize of the datafiles...
>> 'alter index xxx rebuild index_ts;' to rebuild all indexes back to their
>> 'home' tablespace

Seems OK, but why not just create a new tablespace, move the indexes into it (using rebuild) and then drop the old one.

You may have to change some users to give them quota on the new tablespace, but it should save you a lot of time.

--
Jim Smith
Because of their persistent net abuse, I ignore mail from