Re: SIDs and connectivity

From: HansF <News.Hans_at_telus.net>
Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2005 14:57:16 GMT

On Sat, 23 Jul 2005 09:54:34 +0000, Dave interested us by writing:

> "Dale" <dschmitz4_at_cox.net> wrote in message

>> Ok, let me nail it down a bit more. In an effort to make all things
>> equal, and eliminate as many variables as possible, I've set up a system
>> with a production database ("prod") and cloned that database ("devtest")
>> on a Unix system. Assuming I'm logged on to the Unix system directly,
>> what are my best methods for logging into the prod or the devtest
>> instance?

Oracle provides the 'oraenv' script to allow you to change the relevant variables. The 'oratab' file keeps the service and service-to-home cross reference, and oraenv reads that file to set up [all?] the variables.

By default, the script is placed in /usr/local/bin (remember that funny question during installation?). It must be run inline (read, dotted) or it will ot set the variables in your current shell. And can be run interactively or silently.

interactive:

. /usr/local/bin/oraenv
ORACLE SID <hans>? orcl <<- it prompts for SID, gives a default

silent: (as in your .profile)

ORACLE_SID=orcl          <<- you set the desired SID
ORAENV_ASK=NO            <<- and tell it to shut up
. /usr/local/bin/oraenv
--
Hans Forbrich
mailto: Fuzzy.GreyBeard_at_gmail.com