Re: Can a Table be Invalidated?

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Sun, 17 Jul 2005 05:15:04 -0700

Jim Smith wrote:

>> desc user_tables
>>
>> you don't see a STATUS column.
>>

> Good point. You could have said that instead of your typical "how dare
> you post to this group in ways I don't like" response.

I wasn't trying to be an arrogant SOB: Never am. But part of teaching at the university level is teaching students to find the answers themselves and not rely on an instructor/professor.

Thus when something is easily proven by trial or reading I always try to point in that direction.

>> SQL> CREATE OR REPLACE TYPE CourseList AS TABLE OF VARCHAR2(90000);
>>  2  /
>> CREATE OR REPLACE TYPE CourseList AS TABLE OF VARCHAR2(90000);
>> *
>> ERROR at line 1:
>> ORA-02303: cannot drop or replace a type with type or table dependents

> Not sure this entirely answers my question. If you have an object type
> with code attached and somewhere down the code dependency tree a
> procedure becomes invalid, what happens? Or does 2303 imply you can't
> change the procedure because a table depends on it?

Does more than imply it ... it proves it AFAIK. If you think it is possible for this to happen then, referring to my response above, come up with the scenario and try it. I did and you've seen my results.

> I suppose I need to go and investigate. And then never tell anyone
> because they can always find out for themselves.

My point remains that if you think it is possible to attach some form of PL/SQL to a table in such a manner that it might become invalid and thus invalidate the table ... that you do it. Because I can think of no possible scenarios other than the three I showed you.

>> I was not trying to be obnoxious.

> You don't have to try, for some people it seems to come naturally

And for some people it comes naturally to be offended when an answer is not spoon fed to them. And for some people it comes naturally to expect others that donate their time, for free, to expect certain responses.

I challenge you to search these c.d.o. usenet groups and compare the number of questions asked to the number of complaints like yours and also to the number of times the OP says "Please" and/or "Thank you." You should have no problem accurately guessing that a search for either phrase will return very few hits. And you don't see us whining about being taken for granted or how rude OP's are.

We help people because we want to and for no other reason. If you do not like the quality, or the quantity, or the manner in which that help is offered how is that my, or our, problem?

>> I was trying to point out that in
>> 10-15 seconds anyone with any amount of curiousity could have answered
>> the question.

> As I said in my followup, I wasn't that interested.

You could have said "Thank you" to everyone that jumped in and helped you. Not me ... the others. Perhaps I missed that post.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
http://www.psoug.org