Re: Basic LOB Concept

From: Ken <ken_at_kk.int>
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2005 10:54:48 +0800

> A LOB instance has a locator and a value. The LOB locator is a reference
> to where the LOB value is physically stored. The LOB value is the data
> stored in the LOB. Every LOB you insert will have a diffrent locator
> referencing it!
>
> To add more, you can choose if the LOB is stored inline(in the same
> tablespace as other rows in the table, or simply put 'inside the same
> row') or as an 'outline' LOB, where a LOB locator would reference the
> LOB(and the LOB content is/may stored in a diffrent tablespace). Oracle
> would automatically store a LOB as an outline LOB, when the size is more
> than a specific value.
>
> Amogh

Amogh,

 I still have confusion. Perhaps use a sample code: DECLARE
    v_bl BLOB;
BEGIN
   SELECT bl_col INTO v_bl FROM table WHERE pk=1;   INSERT INTO table (pk,bl_col) VALUES (2, v_bl); END; For the row created by the insert statement (with pk=2), would the bl_col referencing the same BLOB object as the row with pk=1?

Thx Received on Wed Jul 13 2005 - 21:54:48 CDT