Clone questions

From: Dale <dschmitz4_at_cox.net>
Date: Thu, 7 Jul 2005 23:04:10 -0500

I hope this is the right forum for this. If not, please point me elsewhere.

I'm a newbie with Oracle administration and I'm tasked with cloning our production database and starting it up as a development database.

I have a few books on Oracle and have read enouhg (I hope) to tackle the problem using the procedure outlined at www.dba-oracle.com/oracle_tips_db_copy.htm. The procedure seems straight forward enough, but I have two questions that I can't answer from my reading (or at least can't find in my books):

  1. Once the cloned database is created and started, is connecting to it as simple as changing my ORACLE_SID variable to the new database SID and then connecting as normal?
  2. Will the clone require a separate instance of Oracle to be started up? I'm a bit confused between the terms "instantiation" and "incarnation". I don't know if they apply here. Do I have potential license issues here?

TIA
Dale Schmitz Received on Thu Jul 07 2005 - 23:04:10 CDT