Re: update based on query results question

From: G Quesnel <dbaguy_ott_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 5 Jul 2005 10:14:38 -0700

ok, now I think I know what you are asking, and there doesn't seem to be anything wrong, except that the result did not match your expectation. In this case, you need to change your expectation.

The number of rows returned by the select in the where clause does not identify the number of rows to be updated, but rather, identifies the number of values that could match against your columna. The number of rows updated is dependant of the number of rows in tablez that match a value in the returned list (from the select in the where clause). This number can be smaller or larger then 200. The only time it would match exactly, is either by coicidence, or if tablea and tablez had a one to one relationship, defined on tablez.columna = tablea.column - otherwise, the number of rows updated can be anything.

HTH Received on Tue Jul 05 2005 - 12:14:38 CDT