Locking Strategy

From: edmond <edmond_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Jul 2005 12:03:28 +0800

Just want to know if it is good practice to use SELECT FOR UPDATE without NOWAIT in my program. I am worrying if some misbehaved sessions get timeout'ed while locking some critical table, my whole application would potentially be brought down. However, if NOWAIT is used, I have to manually handle the EXCEPTION for failure to obtain the lock and retry until some predetermined timeout period. This seems to be too much work if every SELECT FOR UPDATE statement requires such logic.

Appreciate if anyone could share their experience. Thx a lot. Received on Thu Jun 30 2005 - 23:03:28 CDT