Re: Restore Oracle 8i database

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2005 22:15:08 +0200

On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 15:11:24 -0400, "serge" <sergea_at_nospam.ehmail.com> wrote:

>Thanks for the replies.
>
>Ok maybe it's a dumb question but I really have to ask
>because it's important.
>
>If we have an Oracle 9i database, can we restore it in
>Oracle 8i?
>
>I would think the answer is impossible but I need to
>make sure it is.
>

>Thank you

The answer to this is NO, as the file format can change from release to release.
The only way to convert a 9i database into 8i is run 8i export against the 9i database, and create a 8i compatible dump, and use 8i import to import it into a 8i database.
If you don't have a working database, but only a backup, you'll need to restore into 9i first.

--
Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA