Re: When was the RBO deprecated?

From: Gerard H. Pille <ghp_at_skynet.be>
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2005 19:42:34 +0200

Jim Smith wrote:
> I know CBO was introduced in Oracle 7 (7.1?), but when did oracle first
> say "stop using RBO because it is going away?"
They said to stop using the RBO the minute they released the CBO, even when queries with CBO produced different results from those with RBO. Guess which were correct.

Even with 9.2.0.6, RBO beats CBO fingers in the nose, not forgetting all the effort one has to put into keeping statistics valid, something Oracle could have done automatically, but were afraid of because of performance (benchmarks?). As if their analyze doesn't need resources.

Gerard Received on Wed Jun 22 2005 - 12:42:34 CDT