Re: IMP stalls (???)

From: <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 21 Jun 2005 17:05:39 -0700

David_T (MO) wrote:
> Thanks to everyone who's responded so far.
>
> Mark Bole wrote:
> > Check Metalink Note:213872.1, which appears to exactly match your problem.
>
> I did a search for Metalink and found an Oracle specific site that
> looked good however it required a CSI to register. (Oracle came as the
> backend of a vender IM system we bought about five years ago. As far as
> I know I have no CSI number and now we've ended relations with the
> vender, although we're still using their software.) If you could post
> the text of this note, I'd sure appreciate it. (Is this the bug that
> was mentioned by the third responder?) As for activating a trace, I
> know enough about Oracle to know what you mean but I'm no DBA and I'm
> not sure where to start nor how to interpret a trace.

As Daniel noted, we would be in violation of our support agreements to do that. But, I'll say you have to determine then delete the constraint on def$_pushed_transactions and then re-add it with your own naming.

As for a CSI, you can get one for a pittance in the Oracle store. You should, however, buy an appropriate support contract and licensing for the customer that is actually using Oracle. Hopefully you now understand why.

For tracing, look in the Oracle Performance and Tuning manual.

> The system we have consists of twin Oracle servers. One acting as
> Production, the other was originally set up as a Test environment.
> Since the application is now mature and we're not testing any new
> modification, this second Test server is acting as a shared file server
> and a backup Oracle server to Production. For instance, we had a fan in
> the Production box fail recently so we did a "quick" import onto our
> Test box and rolled our users over to Test as the backend for the
> application until a new fan was purchased and installed (about two
> weeks). When the Production box was back up, we imported Test onto
> Production and rolled our users back onto Production.

In the documentation, which is available with free registration, this would be considered a _not recommended use_ of export as backup.

"Mature" is not a good excuse for "unsupported" when "production" is involved.

> While this database has about five years of data in it, it isn't huge.
> The dump files from EXP are only about 200 MBs.

Hey, if it isn't valuable, why bother with it at all?

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
http://www.engrish.com/detail.php?imagename=dont-screw-off.jpg&category=Computer&date=2003-11-07