Re: GUID as primary key

From: Jim Kennedy <kennedy-downwithspammersfamily_at_attbi.net>
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2005 08:21:38 -0700

"Billy" <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za> wrote in message news:1119351725.133622.224260_at_g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> Andreas Mosmann wrote:
>
> > Surely you are right. But we all in our team are developers and not
> > DBAs, so we only heard about it. Nobody in our team knows enough to
> > handle Replication etc. and so we decided to do so.
>
> You do not need to be DBAs Andreas. Have you had a look at the Oracle
> Application Developer Fundementals guide? This contains about
> everything you need to know about Oracle as a developer - including
> concepts such as Publish-Subscribe Model in Oracle.
>
> > Hope we solve it and you will not be right in that point ;)
>
> Hey, developers can solve it if they use Oracle correctly. My statement
> was not implying that you need a DBA specifically - simply a good
> understanding of Oracle concepts and fundementals. The issue I found is
> that many developers approach Oracle as Just Another Database. And with
> that approach Oracle is no better than MS-Access or SQL-Server. Besides
> being $4 cheaper than SQL-Server I believe? ;-)
>
> Oracle should *never* be treated as a black box by developers.. not if
> they want to write real kick-ass applications.
>
> --
> Billy

Billy,
I agree with you. What you are seeing is what I call the "programmer's testosterone syndrome". summed up it goes like this "You know I would really like to put XML and detached data sets on my resume and it would be really cool to learn them. Wouldn't it be really cool if we built the app so that if the network goes down that the datasets....." In short a requirement gets generated that has nothing to do with reality and some overly complex technology gets used. Why? You have to meet the requirement.
Jim Received on Tue Jun 21 2005 - 10:21:38 CDT