Re: GUID as primary key

From: Billy <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za>
Date: 21 Jun 2005 04:02:05 -0700

Andreas Mosmann wrote:

> Surely you are right. But we all in our team are developers and not
> DBAs, so we only heard about it. Nobody in our team knows enough to
> handle Replication etc. and so we decided to do so.

You do not need to be DBAs Andreas. Have you had a look at the Oracle Application Developer Fundementals guide? This contains about everything you need to know about Oracle as a developer - including concepts such as Publish-Subscribe Model in Oracle.

> Hope we solve it and you will not be right in that point ;)

Hey, developers can solve it if they use Oracle correctly. My statement was not implying that you need a DBA specifically - simply a good understanding of Oracle concepts and fundementals. The issue I found is that many developers approach Oracle as Just Another Database. And with that approach Oracle is no better than MS-Access or SQL-Server. Besides being $4 cheaper than SQL-Server I believe? ;-)

Oracle should *never* be treated as a black box by developers.. not if they want to write real kick-ass applications.

--
Billy