Re: GUID as primary key

From: Billy <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za>
Date: 21 Jun 2005 00:08:53 -0700

Andreas Mosmann wrote:

> (earth is a plate, nobody will need more then 640kB Storage, there is a
> worldwide market for about 5 computers ...)

What, you're trying to tell me the earth is not flat!! <horrified expression>

> Even if you had a web- client: No connection/no work. This programs is
> used by persons, who are paid for give data into the database the whole
> day. If there are 2 hours or even 2 days without connection (or a very
> slow connection) the acceptance of the program will collapse.
<snipped>

Good. BUT. And this a is a big but with two fat cheeks.. I do not believe in solving high availability (HA) issues in the client.

You have a need for HA then use the HA architecure of Oracle correctly. Thousands of hours of uptime is the *norm* for production (non-HA) Oracle instances.

I have seen developers attempt to make their application HA. Which results in treating the database at the end of the day as a bit bucket. And this always result in shoddy data, lacking data integrity - which does more damage to the business than an app (or database) that is not available.

> way they work is, that everyone has his own database and 12 times a year
> the snapshots are given to build a unique database. Besides you have to
> put all the historical data (I do not know the exact english phrase) to
> all small databases. Because of that never happens at the same time it
> is a hard work to build this database (consistent).
> There must be another solution.

Replication. Materialised views. Oracle supports various type of replication designs - including having multiple masters. This is one option. There are many more, including RAC for HA.

It makes a lot more sense to me to buy HA off-the-shelf and use it, then to attempt to roll your own at client application side. HA is IMO too complex for the ordinary app developer to grok, never mind to do it right in his/her code.

--
Billy