Re: GUID as primary key

From: Andreas Mosmann <keineemails_at_gmx.de>
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2005 17:55:23 +0200

sybrandb_at_yahoo.com schrieb am 20.06.2005 in <1119280748.220119.213400_at_f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>:

> Andreas Mosmann wrote:

>> Mark D Powell schrieb am 20.06.2005 in
>> <1119273534.757735.55110_at_g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>:
>>
>>> Andreas, Billy provided the necessary statement, but what is the point
>>> of adding a GUID to every table?  Does every table really need a GUID?

>> We hope it will make our live easier. I told Billy, that the application
>> will work in several departments. Sometimes the connection will be cut
>> but the Software still has to work. We hope that merging the data when
>> connection is active again will be easier and that the developement of
>> the application will be easier because we dont have to decide, whether
>> connected or not.
>>
>>> Just curious -- MArk D Powell --

>> Hope I could explain what you wanted to know, but my English is not the
>> best on earth.
>>
>> Andreas
>>

>> --
>> wenn email, dann AndreasMosmann <bei> web <punkt> de
> A guid being a RAW and many applications treating the RAW as a VARCHAR2
> using implicit conversion, skipping indexes, there is every chance it
> won't help at all and make your life miserable.

We decided to handle this explicit as a string seperated in the format NET generates. To adapt the Oracle-key is simple and so you will not find a difference in handling the data.
An advantage (in our opinion) is, that every part of program can create a new record, does not matter whether it is a PL/SQL- Trigger or a .NET- Program, even without any database- connection.

> Please reconsider.
I hope we do not have to, because we already went too far.

> --
> Sybrand Bakker
> Senior Oracle DBA

Andreas Mosmann
--
wenn email, dann AndreasMosmann <bei> web <punkt> de