Re: Restore Oracle 8i database

From: Randy Harris <randy_at_SpamFree.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2005 21:24:12 GMT

"DA Morgan" <damorgan_at_psoug.org> wrote in message news:1118987893.31013_at_yasure...
> Randy Harris wrote:
> > "DA Morgan" <damorgan_at_psoug.org> wrote in message
> >

> > I've had excellent results restoring logical backups between differing
> > versions of 8i and both ways between Windows and Unix. As Daniel
suggests,
> > the character set, however, can definitely be a problem.
>
> My only observation, if I am correctly interpreting your use of the
> phrase "logical backups" is that exports are not backups.
> --
> Daniel A. Morgan
> http://www.psoug.org
> damorgan_at_x.washington.edu
> (replace x with u to respond)

IMO this is an issue of semantics. A logical backup is indeed a backup. That statement makes no claim that it is equivalent to, or an adequate substitute for, an actual physical backup. Nonetheless, logical backup has its uses.

As far as what is and isn't a "backup"... One could probably make a rational argument that a photograph of the server is a backup of sorts. Received on Fri Jun 17 2005 - 16:24:12 CDT