Re: Restore Oracle 8i database

From: Mark Bole <makbo_at_pacbell.net>
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2005 03:24:47 GMT

DA Morgan wrote:
> serge wrote:
>

>> Can you restore an Oracle 8i database that is one build on an Oracle
>> 8i installation that is another build?
>>
>> If not, i guess my only option is to install the correct Oracle 8i build?
>>
>> Thank you

> Restore the correct version including the character set.

In the old days, the response would have been:

what version?
what patchlevel?
what platform?
Give More Information!
Are you a student? <ptui></ptui> ;-)

You can migrate/upgrade "in place" under certain well-defined conditions, documented at Metalink.

You can almost always export under the old version, and import under the new version, if the logical (versus physical) backup approach is acceptable.

HTH, -Mark Bole Received on Thu Jun 16 2005 - 22:24:47 CDT