partitioning on column with initial null value

From: <upuaut_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 13 Jun 2005 18:01:25 -0700

I need help understanding whether I should invest in the scenario below

Scenario:

1- I create a table table1, with colmns c1 (varchar32) ,c2 (number),c3 (number), and partition on column c3
2- I load data into table1 where c3 is null, on a daily basis. 7 million records on average per day.
3- I later update c3, with a calculated value.

Questions:
1- how does the data get partitioned on the initial load? 2- Once I update c3, what happens? does data get moved to the proper partition? stay where it was loaded?

Should I follow this scenario?

thanks in advance. Received on Mon Jun 13 2005 - 20:01:25 CDT