Re: A Typical Concurrent Access Problem

From: jack <jackIt_at_it.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Jun 2005 17:49:35 +0800

"Lewis C" <lewisc_at_excite.com> ¦b¶l¥ó
news:6kvfa1lp2lr5o796jf2rcb6ak5l2q5pc5h_at_4ax.com ¤¤¼¶¼g...

> As you said, the way to do this is to use a sequence. If, due to
> requirements, you can't use a sequence, fix the requirements.
>
> I have had requirements forbid the use of sequences twice in my
> career. Once sounded a lot like your requirement. After doing some
> investigation, that particular case was afraid they would run out of
> numbers if the sequence got too big. That is a silly reason and a
> little math will prove that the requirement is not needed.
>
> The other time was an audit issue and we resolved that with a display
> field and PK audit record. Bascially the human viewed ID field and
> the actual PK were inserted into an audit table on creation. The PK
> was a sequence.
>
> Revisit your requirement.
>
> Thanks,
>
> LewisC

Thx, but...the id is representing some real life id identifying storage spaces in the warehouse. So we must reuse the same id value if the storage space is available (i.e. row get deleted) again. This requirement is genuine and cannot be changed to accomodate implementation diffculty. Received on Thu Jun 09 2005 - 04:49:35 CDT