Good Way to SELECT Max Occurence

From: dd <dd_at_dd.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Jun 2005 18:06:37 +0800

Given a table representing student's enrollment in classes:

create table student_enrollment (

    student_id number,
    enrollment_id number,
    ...,
    primary key(student_id,enrollment_id) );

The usual way to query the student_id with largest number of enrollment is:

select student_id,count(*) from student_enrollment   group by student_id
  having count(*)=(select max(count(*)) from student_enrollment group by student_id);

But, here we need to include count(*) 3 times. I am just wondering if there is a more elegant approach to this kind of queries without so many count(*). Received on Wed Jun 08 2005 - 05:06:37 CDT