Re: 'Alter index rename subpartition' on table with not commited data (from other session)

From: Wojciech Kłapyta <wojciech.klapyta_at_interia.pl>
Date: Mon, 06 Jun 2005 14:52:48 +0200

sybrandb_at_yahoo.com wrote:
> You don't seem to understand my response.
> During the alter index operation you need to block the table for
> further access.

Yes I understood it clearly - but imagine the situation: 1) user1 inserted but not committed data to t_foo table subpartition t_bar5 2) user2 tries to rename index foo subpartition bar1 to bar2

As a result we have ORA-0054. The question was - is there any workaround for this problem? I know that I can wait untill commit - but it is not efficient.

> The fact someone else is using it (and has a parse lock on the index
> definition) precludes you from doing so.

So there is no workaround.

> For a workaround you need to verify (in the SQL reference) whether you
> can do this ONLINE and add the ONLINE keyword to the statement.
> For ONLINE rebuilds you'll need Enterprise Edition.

I need to RENAME, NOT rebuild index subpartition

> ---
> Sybrand Bakker,
> Senior Oracle DBA

Thanks,

Wojtek Received on Mon Jun 06 2005 - 07:52:48 CDT