Re: Data Normalization & Working with Views

From: HansF <News.Hans_at_telus.net>
Date: Sat, 04 Jun 2005 01:56:00 GMT

On Fri, 03 Jun 2005 13:42:28 -0700, Chris interested us by writing:

> I'm working with ORacle 10g on HP-UX 11i. I am relatively new to data
> normalization (the previous database I was working with was a complete
> nightmare of replicated information) and working with views, so please
> bear with my ignorance here.

You really, really, really want to get a book that is compatible with your level of understanding of the SQL Language.

My recommendation is "Mastering Oracle SQL" from O'Reilly. Use the following link: http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/0596006322/

This book takes you from the basics at your level right uyp to the very advanced levels.

In addition, you could check out the Oracle By Example (OBE) site. Go to http://otn.oracle.com and look for the link 'Oracle by Example'. It had some decent beginner step-by-step tutorials. (However, they refuse to duplicate the good stuff in newer versions, but drop the pages for obsolete versions. Sad, because they are dropping some valuable info.)

Last known location for OBE was bottom of menu on the left side - but it's just about time for Oracle's mandatory periodic update of their site layout.

---
Hans Forbrich
mailto: Fuzzy.GreyBeard_at_gmail.com